Senior Pool Safety Steps Cont'd.
- For loved ones with dementia proper supervision needs to take place to protect them from wandering into the water. The use of a "wandering alarm" can provide a notice to the caregiver.
- An additional loud alarm is recommended to be installed at the pool fence or gate. It should be designed to sound out an alert if approached inadvertently.
- Regardless of the senior's age, or health condition, swimming with them can help guard against simple missteps or a fall.
- If the senior's medications cause dizziness schedule pool time only with a caregiver present.
- If there are young children present make sure that there is an additional adult assigned to their watch and who it prepared to swim at a moments notice. Double duty for one caregiver is not recommended.
Resource on the Internet: