However, the beauty of buddha bowls is that you can pack each with whatever nutritious veggies and grains you have on hand. The recipe below is merely a guideline.
Today we’re making a Nourishing Buddha Bowl with Maple Roasted Chickpeas. This bowl is hearty and will fill you up for hours! Some of the nutritional highlights of this recipe include the use of Kale. Kale is a superfood and is one of the most nutrient-dense foods in the world. It has tons of antioxidants, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and it has been proven to help lower Cholesterol levels! Another vegetable featured in this recipe is sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a hearty staple for wintertime. They are sweet, filling, and satisfying! Plus, they promote gut and brain health with their high amounts of fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- 1 serving Maple roasted chickpeas (recipe below)
Maple roasted chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas (14oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2–4 tbsp water (*depending on how runny your tahini is you may need more or less water to thin out the sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
- Pat your chickpeas with a paper towel until they’re mostly dry then toss them with the olive oil, salt, cinnamon, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. Place on a baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a separate pan and bake for 20-30 minutes until tender. (You can cook the sweet potatoes and chickpeas at the same time.)
- To prepare the dressing, blend everything together until smooth.
- To assemble your bowl, place quinoa on the bottom, and top with shredded cabbage, kale, quinoa, sliced avocado, sweet potato, and chickpeas. Top with the tahini dressing.
Add any leftover vegetables you have on hand to make an even heartier bowl. Stay tuned for our recipes for next week, which will include a satisfying and delicious meatless pasta that the whole family will love!