Spring cleaning is a rejuvenating and refreshing tradition shared by many. Ensure that you make the most of Spring cleaning this year while also prioritizing safety with a few simple tips:
- Always ask for assistance when moving potentially heavy objects.
- Check your medicine cabinet, fridge, and pantry and throw out any expired items. Dispose of unneeded or expired medication properly by mixing the medication with an unappealing substance, such as coffee grounds, placing it in a sealed container, and throwing it in the trash. Additionally, scratch out or black out any personal information on medication bottles before throwing the packaging away.
- Check your smoke detectors, Carbon Monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers, first aid kit, and emergency kit to ensure that all are set in case of an emergency. Smoke detector and Carbon Monoxide alarm batteries should be replaced once a year and tested monthly.
- Clean out excess clutter. Crowded spaces can lead to an increase in fall risk. Consider going through your possessions and donating some items that are still in good condition that you don’t use. It feels great to know that your donations will be given a second life in a loving home!
- Make it fun! Enlist the help of a family member or friend and put on some music to make the process more enjoyable.
- Open some windows and let fresh air in, especially when dusting or vacuuming.
- Don’t feel like you need to get everything done at once. Breaking down cleaning into 10-minute chunks can make it more manageable to get everything on your list done.