Today we’re making homemade hummus. Not only does hummus have minimal ingredients, but it’s also packed with protein and quick to make in a blender or vitamix. The main ingredient of hummus is chickpeas. Chickpeas are wonderful for gut health as they’re loaded with fiber and keep things moving through your digestive system (in other words, they help with constipation). But here’s the really good part. The type of fiber they’re loaded with is insoluble fiber – the kind that helps to lower “bad” cholesterol while feeding the “good” gut bugs in your microbiome.
That’s because insoluble fiber doesn’t break down until it hits the large intestine. And when it does hit the large intestine, those good gut bugs feed off the insoluble fiber, creating short-chain-fatty-acids, giving you energy and protecting the health of your colon.
This recipe is better than store bought hummus… but don’t just take our word for it! It only takes 3-5 minutes to make it and try it for yourself.
- 30 oz canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained with liquid reserved (I use two 15oz cans)
- 1/3 cup chickpea liquid, or more, as needed
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- olive oil
- fresh parsley
- Add all the ingredients to your high-powered blender and secure the lid. Remove the lid cap and insert the tamper.
- Turn the blender on high for 30 seconds (or more for a creamier texture) and use the tamper to push the hummus into the blades. Add more chickpea liquid (aquafaba), if desired, for a softer hummus.
- Add the hummus to a serving plate and garnish with olive oil, paprika and fresh parsley.
Serve and enjoy your hummus with whatever you find best - cucumber slices, pita chips, and baby carrots are some classic dippers.
It really is that easy! Once you start making your own hummus, you won’t want to go back to store-bought. It feels great to know exactly what ingredients are going into your food. Plus, you can always add in extras to this recipe to make your favorite flavor of hummus, such as garlic or roasted red pepper.
CALORIES: 332kcal, CARBOHYDRATES: 35g, PROTEIN: 12g, FAT: 17g, SATURATED FAT: 2g, SODIUM: 159mg, POTASSIUM: 419mg, FIBER: 9g, SUGAR: 5g, VITAMIN A: 40iu, VITAMIN C: 16.6mg, CALCIUM: 84mg, IRON: 4.1mg
Recipe, info, and photos from: https://downshiftology.com/recipes/3-minute-hummus/