A Message from Our President
I hope you all had a happy, healthy holiday with your family and friends. Mine was certainly joyous. In my message last month, I found myself reflective and grateful for the year I had, with all its ups and downs. It is with attitude of thankfulness that I anticipate the opprotunities for this new year, and new decade; a blank canvas that is “always fresh with no mistakes in it” (paraphrasing from L.
M. Montgomery). Happy New Year, from our
Mr. W's Newsletter Inspiration
“When we imagine we have finished our story, fate has a trick of turning the page and showing us yet another chapter.” ~ Lucy Maud Montgomery
Cultural Tidbit: Lucy Maud Montgomery is a famous Canadian writer and author, most known for her series Anne of Green Gables, about a red-headed orphan girl
adopted and raised by an older sister and brother on Prince Edward Island, Canada. Montgomery was born on November 30, 1874, in Clifton (now New London), Prince
Edward Island, Canada. He mother died of
tuberculosis when Lucy was 21 months, and her heart-broken father
ceded custody to her maternal grandparents. She was raised in Cavendish, PEI. Her early childhood was lonely, despite family living nearby. These lonely years formed
the basis for her vivid imagination and set the stage for her Anne series, and other works. Montgomery published her first Anne novel in 1908; they were an immediate hit. She became a world-famous author. She married a minister later in life and had two sons. Their home life was contentious and she suffered from depression. She died April 24, 1942. Her legacy lives on in her published works and how she put PEI on the map as a world destination.
Monthly Safety Tip
A few weeks ago, we were hit by a nasty ice storm. It was a mess during the storm and the night following. When morning dawned, we were greeted with a wondrous sight: every tree shown brilliantly! Ice accumulated and froze on the tree limbs and the suns rays reflected and refracted through. It was gorgeous!
Ice is beautiful, brilliant...and dangerous. As we head into the heart of winter, here is a
Rock Salt/Ice Melt Safety
National Thyroid Awareness Month
- "Special Days and Observances in January"; Carol Bainbridge, Updated 12/9/19, The Spruce
- "About Your Thyroid"; Thyroid Awareness
- "Thyroid Diseases"; U.S. National Library of Medicine, MedlinePlus.gov
- "Thinking About Your Thyroid: Get to Know This Small but Mighty gland"; Ed. Harrison Wein, Ph.D., Man. Ed. Tianna Hicklin, Ph.D.; NIH News in Health, Sept. 2015; National Institute of Health
- "General Information/Press Room"; American Thyroid Association
- "30 Thyroid Disorder Symptoms and Signs"; Med. Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD; Med. Ed.: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR; Rev. 7/27/2016; MedicineNet.com
- "Rock Salt Dangers, Hazards and Safety"; Angies List
- "6 Important Tips to Safely and Effective Use of Ice Melt"; October 10, 2019; Regional Distributors, Inc.