It is a known fact, that as we age, so do our bodies. The process itself is inevitable, but the journey toward it is frought with chances to influence it to our own tastes. These chances are grounded in our daily choices - will we eat ice cream or salad, will we walk today or sit on the couch, will we watch tv all day or read a good book? Our choices affect our health and wellness - mental, emotional, physical and spiritual. We should want to make choices that promote our positive health and wellness. These choices will lead to better health in our later years and save us money.
Good Nutritious Choices
A friend once said to me, "If you can't read it, don't eat it." She was referring to the list of ingredients included on all food items in the grocery store. If you can't read an ingredient, you don't know what you're putting in your body. Is it really nutritious? Read the labels.
Bright, or deep colored foods are always the best choice as they are indicators of
- Lean protein (lean meats, salmon, eggs, beans)
- Fruits and vegetables (bright colors like orange, red, green, and purple)
- Whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa)
- Low-fat dairy (or nondairy like soy or almond)
Other great exercises include walking, hiking, biking or joining a gym to do recommended exercises. The important thing is to stay active, get your body moving!
It's Summer! Stay safe!
2. Keep in touch - make sure to check in with family or neighbors so they don't worry.
3. Dress for the weather - wear light colored clothes that don't absorb so much heat from the sun, but cover up to prevent burning. Wear a hat.
4. Protect your eyes - wear sunglasses, the glare from the sun and the brightness can sometimes be too much.
5. Wear sunblock - use spf 50 or above and protect your exposed skin from harmful UV rays.
6. Use bug spray - mosquitos, ticks and gnats are out in full force this season. Use bug spray and protect yourself against bites and diseases these bugs may carry.
Keep yourself safe this summer! For more, read 12 Summer Safety Tips for Seniors, by Gillian Kruse, June 13, 2018, on Care.com.
Keep yourself safe and conscious of your health and wellness this summer, and every day for the rest of your life. It will set the course for your journey.